Veteran Group 2019
- APPROXIMATE COST OF PROGRAM: $2205 (this includes tuition)
- NUMBER OF STUDENTS IN CLINICAL SECTION: up to 14
- CLINICAL EXPERIENCES:
- Location: We spend 9 days in Washington DC, in addition to local and rural clinical experiences with our Veteran population, and 3 days in DC at the end of May on an Honor Flight.
- Length of time away from Provo: During spring term we will be in DC for 9 days (May 3-11,2019); in addition to several single days on various field trips in the state, as well as the Honor flight for 3 days (May 23-25).
- HONOR FLIGHT: Students will serve as a guardian on an Honor Flight to a WWII, Korean, or Vietnam War veteran on a trip to see their memorials in Washington DC. This is the third year that BYU College of Nursing will sponsor an Honor Flight. The Utah Honor Flight is a Utah-based nonprofit organization dedicated to providing a trip for veterans to visit their memorials in Washington DC, with our students helping to facilitate that trip for these deserving veterans.
WINTER PREPARATION CLASS REQUIRED: 390R cultural prep class will be held during winter semester. There will be several Monday afternoon classes and several assignments that you will prepare during winter and present during our trip to Washington, DC.
OTHER: This course offers the opportunity for students to gain a greater insight and appreciation for our Veteran population, the challenges they have faced and how that effects them the rest of their lives. We learn about availability to health care and what the nation is doing to better provide for them; research Veterans on a personal basis; and discover how to best care for this diverse population.
GRANDPA: Four of our students last year were able to take their grandfathers on the Honor Flight. Do you have a relative, who is a veteran, you could take on this flight?
∼FREEDOM IS NOT FREE∼